Application Subject Psychology in Computer Science
The Chair for Individual and Technology offers the application subject Psychology for Computer Science students. The application subject Psychology includes the following courses.
All courses are taught in English.
Application Subject Psychology in the Computer Science Bachelor Program
In contrast to the study schedule according to the computer science examination regulations, we recommend you attend the courses in the given order. Cognitive and Social Psychology are more foundational, while Communication and Media Psychology are more specialized courses that utilize knowledge from Social Psychology. It can also be beneficial to attend Statistics earlier, as it allows a deeper understanding of the discussed studies and hypothesis tests.
Application Subject Psychology in the Computer Science Master Program
|Empirical Research Methods and Experiment Design||Winter||3||6|
|Current Topics in Media Psychology||Summer||2||5|
|Individuals and Technology – Advancing Seminar||Winter, Summer||2||5|
We strongly suggest you attend the courses in the given order. Both seminars (Current Topics and Advancing Seminar) build heavily on top of concepts from the Methods lecture. Lack of this knowledge makes it harder to succeed in this subject, often leading to students dropping the respective seminar.
Can I choose the application subject Psychology for the Master's degree in Computer Science without having taken the application subject Psychology during my Bachelor's degree?
The application subject Psychology in the Master of Computer Science builds on the basics taught in the application subject Psychology Bachelor of Computer Science. Therefore, if you want to take the application subject in the master's program without having taken the courses from the application subject in the bachelor's program, you are expected to have acquired the necessary knowledge in self-study before you start the application subject in the master's program. For this purpose, you will find below a list of the literature on which the courses in the Bachelor's application subject are based.
- Communication Psychology: The Communication Age: Connecting and engaging (Edwards et al., 2018) und Lehrbuch Kommunikationspsychologie (Frindte, 2019; German)
- Social Psychology: Social psychology (Aronson et al., 2018) and Social psychology (Baron et al., 2006)
- Cognitive Psychology: Cognitive Psychology (Goldstein & Van Hoff, 2018)
- Media Psychology: The International Encyclopedia of Media Psychology (Van del Bulck, 2020) or Medienpsychologie. Schlüsselbegriffe und Konzepte (Krämer et al., 2016; German)
- Statistics: Statistical methods for Psychology (Howell, 2013), Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics (Field, 2018) / Discovering statistics using R (Field et al., 2012)